Here at Lifetime Weight Loss we know that weight loss surgery is a big step that requires many life changing steps both before and after surgery. Both your lifestyle and your diet have to change. Remember, for any uncertainties, our bariatric surgeon or dietitian can answer and address all questions and concerns about dietary changes and nutritional guidelines as knowledge is key in the bariatric process.
Purpose of Pre-Surgery Bariatric Diet:
- To reduce overall body fat. By reducing body fat in the abdomen and liver it greatly increases patient safety
- To prepare the body both inside and out for surgery and recovery: by eating healthy, increasing your protein intake, and taking vitamins and mineral supplements the body can heal faster and recover better after surgery
- To preserve and protect your muscle tissue: by increasing the amount of protein intake, it keeps the body from using muscle tissue as an energy source and burns the fat instead
- To prepare the patient for their post-surgery diet: the pre-op diet is similar to the post-surgery diet and will prepare patients for the new way they will be eating after weight loss surgery. Again, it is a life-changing and exciting new step for the New You!
Starting a Bariatric Surgery Pre-Op Diet:
Here at Lifetime Weight Loss before you undergo weight loss surgery, our bariatric surgeon will explain your pre-surgery diet. Each person is different, but there are general guidelines that each must follow in order to be healthy and successful. The following guidelines should complement our surgeon’s directions, not replace them.
General pre-surgery dietary guidelines for weight loss surgery include:
- Begin protein supplements (example: protein powder)
- Decrease all fats (fatty meats, fried foods, whole milk products, and others)
- Decrease sugary foods (sweets and soda)
- Decrease high carbohydrate foods (bread and pasta)
- Stop smoking
- Avoid alcohol
- Avoid binge eating
- You will not be able to use certain over-the-counter medications and prescription medications (ask our doctor for specifics)
- It is always important to follow our surgeon’s pre-surgery guidelines. Your pre-surgery diet will help prepare your body for surgery and improve the outcome. It will also help you adjust to the changes you can expect to make regarding food after weight loss surgery and for the rest of your life. Remember; it’s a New You! Both inside and out!