Do you have questions about surgery and need answers? You are in the right place. If you don’t see what you are looking for, submit your questions to our Doctors here at Lifetime.
Q. What results can I expect from bariatric surgery?
A. Bariatric surgery is not a quick fix, overnight result, or a guarantee of long-term weight loss. It is a tool that, along with a commitment to making good food choices, exercise, and being more active, will help you lose weight.
Q. How quickly can I expect to loose my unwanted weight?
A. After bariatric surgery, most patients lose weight rapidly and continue to do so until 18 to 24 months after the surgery.
Q. Are there health benefits from bariactric surgery beside weight loss?
A. The health benefits include:
• Dramatic improvement in type 2 diabetes. Some individuals actually see a complete remission of their diabetes.
• Lower cholesterol
• Lower blood pressure
• Less sleep apnea (interrupted breathing during sleep)
• Reduced joint pain; better mobility
• Less heartburn (acid reflux)
• Improved mood and self-esteem
• More energy
• Longer life
Q. Can bariatric surgery cure my type 2 diabetes?
A. The evidence in support of the resolution of type 2 Diabetes as a result of bariatric surgery continues to mount. Various studies have shown:
• 77% of patients with resolved diabetes. In these patients, diabetes completely disappeared or treatment (medicines, insulin) was no longer needed. In studies measuring for “resolution or improvement,” the number rose to 86% of patients.
• Rapid results. For some patients, diabetes disappeared almost immediately, within days of surgery. Others saw blood-sugar levels begin to fall soon after surgery, becoming completely normal within a year.
•92% reduction in deaths from diabetes-related causes.
Q. Do I have to undergo body contouring after weight loss surgery?
A. Body contouring is an added option. Often, after significant weight loss from diet, exercise, or bariactric surgery. The breast will appear sag, the abdomen will have that elastic skin because it looses it tone. Other area that might affect body contour are the thighs, hips, arms, neck and face.